I Bonds are a low-risk, liquid savings product. While you own them they earn interest and protect you from inflation. You may purchase I Bonds at www.TreasuryDirect.gov and at most local financial institutions.
Additional Inflation Bond Facts:
- I Bonds earn interest from the first day of their issue month.
- You can redeem them at any time after a twelve-month minimum holding period
- They are an accrual-type security
- They increase in value monthly and the interest is paid when you redeem the bond
- I Bonds are sold at face value; i.e., you pay $50 for a $50 I Bond
- I Bonds grow in value with inflation-indexed earnings for up to 30 years
- If you redeem I Bonds before they’re five years old, you’ll forfeit the three most recent months’ interest; at or after 5-years old, you won’t be penalized.